- Chair, Applied Mathematics & Statistics
- Professor, Applied Mathematics & Statistics
- Applied Mathematics & Statistics
- Baskin Engineering, Room 357A
- Brummell did his undergraduate studies at Imperial College at
the University of London (UK)
in Mathematics and received his B.Sc. there with first class
He was accepted to do a Ph.D. in the Department of Applied Mathematics
at the same university, under the supervision of Dr.~D.R.~Moore.
In 1988, Brummell received his Ph.D. for work on mathematical and numerical models
of convection. In November 1988, Brummell moved to JILA and the Astrophysical and
Planetary Science Department of the
University of Colorado, where he worked on research problems in astrophysical
and geophysical fluid dynamics, and taught mathematical and numerical methods,
fluid dynamics and astrophysics. In late 2006, Brummell accepted a job in the formative
Applied Mathematics Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, as
an Associate Professor. Brummell was promoted to Full Professor in July 2009.
Brummell became Chair of the department July 1st 2014.
- Applied Mathematics, fluid dynamics, magnetogydrodynamics, astrophysical fluid dynamics, geophysical fluid dynamics, numerical analysis, high-performance computing, solar physics, umerical simulations of astrophysical and geophysical fluid dynamics
- Dynamo theory
- Solar dynamo theory
- Dynamics of the solar tachocline
- Magnetic buoyancy instabilities
- Double-diffusive instabilities
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics. Imperial College, London, UK, 1988
- B.Sc. in Mathematics, Imperial College, London, UK, 1984
Are you Nicholas Brummell? If so, you can update your directory information.